Wednesday, March 15, 2006

My Spring Break

I went to San Antonio with some friends from church for a couple of days this week. I had never been before. People around here can't believe I've never been. But I remind them that they've never been to Baton Rouge or New Orleans and we call it even. :) On our way down we stopped and shopped at the outlet mall in San Marcos, just like Dan and Michelle. :) I had no idea just how huge it was! Wow! You almost need a golf cart to go around in b/c you end up having to take packages back to the car and move the car and that gets old to me.

Then that night we ate at Cafe Ole on the Riverwalk. There were about a million other people celebrating their Spring Break as well. :) These pics are of Natalie and I. I must say the Alamo was much smaller than I expected.

Then Monday we spent the day at Sea World. Once again, I had never been so that was a cool experience for me. I loved the Shamu show. It made me wish I would have chosen a different career path. But someone's gotta teach those trainers how to read so I guess I'll stick with my job. :)

We took a behind-the scenes tour and got to play with the penguins. I teach a unit on them to my 2nd graders so I was wishing they could have been there to see it all. They would have loved it and thanks to their great teacher, they would have already known all the info the tour guide was telling us. :) jk! We also fed these lorikeets. See my new Fossil watch I bought in San Marcos? Well, you can't really see it, but it's cute! :)

Since Sea World is operated by the Anheuser-Busch company, they have some of the Clydesdales on display. It was odd to see a beer stand in this family-friendly environment, but it was there. You can't imagine how many strollers we
saw!!! But when we would hear babies crying or see kids throwing fits, we were glad we didn't have kids with us! On the way home I waved to you in Pfluggerville, Deborah. :)

Since I've been back, I spent a day shopping with my friend Karen and her little boy DeWayne. Here's their family pic. Isn't he precious?!?! He only has to wear his little helmet for a few more weeks (it's helping to shape his head correctly). And today I went to IKEA with my friend Koby. Then we went to see our friend Jennifer's new baby Jackson. Her husband went to NLU, so that's a fun connection that we have. Tomorrow I'm heading to Ruston for a couple of days. My mom's side of the family is getting together for lunch on Saturday. I sure do wish Jessica or Carrie was here to ride with me. :) It sure helps the drive go by faster. So that's
about all I have to write about this week. I will say this...being off this one week has really made me look forward to summer break more. :) My student teacher leaves in about a month. Then I'll have 6 weeks left to teach them everything we haven't gotten to yet. It's always at about this time of the school year that I freak out just a little b/c it feels like I haven't prepared my kids for 3rd grade yet. So the next 2 1/2 months we'll be very busy doing just that, trying to cram in as much as possible so no 3rd grade teachers can talk bad about the kids they get from Miss Ginn next year. :)

Have a great weekend!

27 comments:

Shandra said...

Man..sounds like y'all had a fun trip. I'm jealous b/c I want to go to Sea World too!! Hope you have a fun time in Ruston!!!

Megan said...

You've made the most of your spring break! Sounds like fun. I don't blame you for being glad you didn't have kids with you at Sea World. Every now & then we wish we didn't have a stroller with us :) However, Jolie does fill our life with much joy most of the time!

Mandy said...

Well, if you ever have a conference or something here in Dallas to come to, I better be the first you call to babysit her!!! I'm dying to meet her! Maybe this summer we can all get together. :)

Michael, Meg & Naomi said...

Well, aren't you the little adventurer! That's great you've filled your break with so much fun stuff! You have inspired me and Michael to go to Sea World. It may be a summer trip. Have fun in Ruston! Get some Johnny's while you are there!

Mandy said...

Y'all would love it, Meg. There are lots of fun things to do in San Antonio. Have you ever been? Did you enjoy my Ode To Meg post a couple of weeks ago? :)

Michael, Meg & Naomi said...

I have been to San Antonio a few times and so has Michael, but we haven't been together. Nor have either of us been to Sea World. It is now definitely on the list!!!

Yes, I did enjoy the Ode to Meg post. That was cute!! I'm trying to get better about posting on peoples blogs. I usually always read them, but don't think I really have anything good enough to say!

knelson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
knelson said...

Mandy - i hope you will call me when you get to Ruston. Lori Rich was here on her break, so I got to talk with her a little bit. It was good to catch up on her life! I'm glad you've had a good time.

Kim said...

You're going to need another week off to recover from your vacation! Sounds like you had a great time! I should have picked a career with holidays and the summer off. Instead, I pick a hospital to work at ... what was I thinking!

Anonymous said...

Miss Mandy...sounds like you had a GREAT break! We just got back from our trip and I am SOOOOO ready for summer!! I took tomorrow off, so at least I still have ONE more day!! :)

Mandy said...

Do you not getted docked in pay like in Irving? :) Glad y'all had fun! Are you tan?

Anonymous said...

No..no docking...my p'pal is too slow to realize he signed me getting off the day after a break! Some times that is good, usually it's not! :) Tan...kind of....we picked up 28 Cubans floating in the sea, 16 year old drunk guy, WITH HIS PARENTS, (also drunk) got left at one port because he was SOOO drunk...had to fly to the next port to get back on the ship, lady had a heart attack....very interesting trip!!!! It was fun, but I am REALLY ready for summer!!! Anything new in Ruston?

Mandy said...

Gee, remind me to never go on a cruise with you! :) Your trip sounds a little too eventful for me. Glad you had fun though. Today was the 1st day my student teacher taught the whole day by herself. I must say it was very nice!!! My kids were pretty good b/c they were tired from Spring Break. I'm going to get lots of paper work and planning done! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow---I thought your ST had been teaching all by herself. What a nice break for you!! Unless she is not good! HA! I dread tomorrow...have you thought anymore about next year? I'll email you later...I miss you!!!

Shandra said...

CARRIE?? how the heck do you let Mandy get away w/ getted and I put your instead of you're and you jump all over me! Sorry I had to call you out like that Mandy!!

Mandy said...

Thanks for pointing out my mistakes, Miller. I appreciate that! :) We haven't covered that lesson in 2nd grade yet this year so I forgot how to spell. :) Forgive me!

Mrs. Kathy, my mom kept me busy running errands in Ruston last weekend. I'll call you next time. We're definitely going to hang out this summer when I come home!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Shan...guess I was too tired to notice. That is why Mandy teaches 2nd grade (no TAKS) and I teach 4th grade. (3 TAKS tests!) Only kidding!! After reading that, you know who the smart one is and who the dumb one is!! ME!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone have any ideas for jobs other than teaching that I could look into?? Mandy--move to College Station and let's start a business! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you and Mandy could start a spelling business.

Anonymous said...

yaeh, you and Mnday cuold srtat a selplnig biussnes.

Anonymous said...

puhlease sista fariend..... didt yous knows teacherz no spel gud?

Shandra said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i'z glad my child doesn't goe to there skool.

Anonymous said...

dude i so knows. my kidz gonna be in dem specshul classez.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna name it Don.

Anonymous said...

I don't appreciate that!

Anonymous said...

me either. please leave my husband alone.

Anonymous said...

huh?