Saturday, June 17, 2006

A New Job!!!

Well, I have finally decided to change schools for next year. I’ll be teaching 3rd grade at Townsell Elementary in Irving. It's one of the new schools in Irving that's only been opened about 3 years. I’m a little nervous because I’ve been at the same school for 6 years since I moved here. For the first 5 years at Hanes, my principal worked so hard at making our staff feel like a family. But then last summer she was moved to another school so this year has been a huge adjustment, and it’s time to move on. I’ll still get to see some of my closest friends from there because of Bunco, but there are some that I know I won’t see very often now. Leaving my “family” is hard, but there are several of us that are leaving so that helps a little. Probably the hardest part is that my 2nd grade team was very strong and a close-knit group and I hate that we’re all splitting apart (all but one of us are leaving). I’m nervous about starting from scratch with a new team, new school, new curriculum, etc., but I know it will all work out though! :)

Before I planned on changing schools, I had also decided to start looking for a little duplex or house to move into, to get out of this crowded apartment life. So now that I know where I’ll be working, I can narrow down my search for that. But my current apartment complex is ready for me to sign my lease now, so I’m in a little bit of a time crunch. And since now I get to pack up my classroom, I’m not looking forward to packing up my apartment too! So who knows, I might sign another lease and stay here for a little while longer.

Change is good, so I know that I will learn and grow from all of this. I just wanted to keep y’all up to date. Other than that, I’m so glad I’m finally done with trainings and curriculum writing and can now enjoy my summer break for a few weeks.
If you have any extra boxes, please send them my way. :)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy--that is where Jenna just left, I think. She was teaching GT, but is about to have baby #2, so she is staying home next year. Welcome to TAKS girl!!! I would suggest staying where you are (living) for now...you have a lot of change ahead!!! Call me!

Deborah said...

How fun! Sounds like you will be having a busy summer. I'll be praying for a smooth transition.

Who is the chick you cut out of the pic?? Ha ha

Jessica said...

Congrats! Change is always stressful so I agree with pp that you should stay where you are. Enjoy your summer break! Jessica H

Mandy said...

Well, Deb, that picture is 2 years old and that girl is gone. So that's why I cut her out. :) Thanks for your prayers!!!

If anyone is good about getting on a budget, help! I think that's what I need to work on next, before looking for a place to move. :)

Anonymous said...

You know I am the BEST about a budget...HA! Ask Shan...she's good! Hey--do you use Moose Math? I have a 3rd grade book (since I taught 3rd grade for the 1st 6 weeks of school last year) and some other 3rd grade stuff. Are you teaching every subject? Call me.

Michael, Meg & Naomi said...

Congrats on the new job, Mandy!! Wow, i didn't realize it has been 6 years since you started teaching!!!

Megan said...

I'm excited for you! Change is always a fun adventure. (It's a good thing I feel that way since I'm moving!)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Man! Change is scary at times but good. It keeps us from being too comfortable. We all need to get together soon. Thanks for keeping us posted on your life!

Mandy said...

I have such great, encouraging friends! Thank y'all! :)

Shandra said...

Is Carrie smocking crack again? I'm SO not good w/ a budget!! We would be poor if I was doing our budget...well, I should say we would be in the hole!! :) Mandy.. you need to ask my hubby for help...not me!!! Do you really need help?

Also, I think a change is great. I was at a great school here in Texas my 1st year and then my job got cut b/c of no funds. I did NOT want to go to a new school and I ended up LOVING it MORE than I loved my 1st school! So it will all work out!! :)

Mandy said...

Thanks for the motivation, Shan! I'm trying to remind myself of all the new friends I'll be making...since I know no one! :) My friend reminded me to act like the first year/new teacher and not take on so many responsibilities this year. I'm all about laying low and focusing more on my classroom and TAKS!

Anonymous said...

Mandy--GREAT advice. They won't ask you to do too much since you're new and this is your first TAKS year. Believe me, you will be busy enough! Get ready to TUTOR! hehehe!! I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Mandy! I've heard good things about that school. I know a few people there also. Come have lunch sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your new gig!

Shandra said...

jill!!...you were supposed to get her email! not comment!

Anonymous said...

Miss Mandy..Jason wants to say something...
You're a yankee because you're too far north. Come down and meet a southern man to get some southern comfort. There are plenty of men in College Station that wear uniforms.
Gig 'em,
Jason
Miss Mandy..COME SEE US!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mandy...phone tag...you are it! We are going to be in Ruston Sun-Tues. Call my cell if you are there/going to be there. We are going to Tyler today.

Megan said...

tell us something new! also, we are scheduled to move into our new home on july 25th. will you be in ruston anytime after that?

Jessica said...

Mandy--hope you are well! How is your summer?

Mandy said...

Hey Megan, I think I'm going home next weekend, the 14th. But I might be going one more time before school. If so, I'll let you know. I'm just not sure how much time moving my apartment and packing up and moving my classroom will take. I'm NOT looking forward to it all. I want to make sure to have plenty of time to set up my new classroom before school starts. So I'll keep you posted.

Jessica, my summer is crazy...but good! How's yours? I read your blog pretty often to keep up-to-date with your life. :)