Wednesday, April 18, 2007

April...

I've been getting my class ready for another TAKS test lately. They took the Math test yesterday. But now the hard part is being quiet the rest of the week while all of our neighbors are still testing!

Have you ever heard of Flat Stanley? It's a kids' book about a little boy named Stanley . One night while he's sleeping, the bulletin board on his wall falls on him and flattens him. It's a really cute story about how he can do neat things now that he's flat. One thing is that he wants to go visit his friend in California but can't afford to go. So his parents mail him there. In class, the kids make a small sized Stanley and send him somewhere. Then the person that receives him is supposed to take him places and take pictures of him doing things in their city, etc. I 1st read this book when I was student teaching with Mrs. Liz Hood. Now my niece Reanne is in her class and has given me her Flat Stanley to take around Dallas. So far, he's met my 3rd grade class (which I guess I better not post on here) and been to a Stars playoff game. I want to take a picture of him with our state flower (the bluebonnets) but every time I drive by the field in the airport, there are always several people taking family pics, etc. And I would feel a little funny pulling out a little paper boy to take a picture of. But I'm going to do it this weekend...I keep telling myself. :) On Saturday, Stanley's going to visit Texas Stadium and the Rangers Ballpark.
Here are some pics from the pre-game activities at the Stars game.
Those Stars fans are serious about hockey! These are some of the best-dressed fans. Our favorite was the guy with the green mohawk who painted himself green with blue stars. They got a free ticket to the game if they dressed up crazy.
You gotta love when there's a fight at a hockey game! :)

Monday night I went with a couple of friends to another Desperados game. Once again, didn't really want to take Stanley inside so he stayed in the car. :) I got to see history in the making. Dallas' quarterback Clint Dolezel made his 800th touchdown in his 12 years of playing arena football.

Here's a picture of the hail that hit my car last Friday night. There were reports of baseball-sized hail a couple of miles away, so I guess mine wasn't too bad. But watching it hit my car and listening to the sirens going off was a creepy feeling! Luckily the tornado passed me by though.

Here are a few pics from when I went home for Easter...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pics! Ok, I don't feel sorry for you anymore! When Owen sent me his Flat Stanley, it was life size!!! They had to make him the size of them, so I was carrying around paper that was almost as tall as me! :) HA!

Michelle said...

i love flat stanley! i only wish he could come and visit us. i'd take him to NASA and pose him next to a rocket. :)

i love seeing pictures of your nieces!

i got your mom's check today, and she wrote me the sweetest letter! tell her dan was flattered, and we appreciated what she had to say! let me know when she gets her towels! :)

Shandra said...

i got flat stanley from my niece too!! i sent him back to her w/ cowboy boots, a hat, and vest! he loved visiting me in texas!! :) good to see your smiling face!

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh, Carrie, I am so glad Stanley isn't LIFE-sized! :)

Michelle, I can't wait to see the towels!!!

Shandra, what a cute idea to add clothes to Stanley. I better get busy decorating him!

knelson said...

Mandy - I laughed out loud at the hesistancy you felt about getting your "paperdoll boy" out of the car at the bluebonnets. I think you did the right thing. :)