Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Go Cowboys!!!

Did anyone watch last night’s Cowboys game? Well, I was working in my classroom, but they beat the Saints 30-7. This Saturday night I get to watch them play the 49ers. My friend has invited my old 2nd grade team to watch it from their suite. :) Should be fun!

Well, today the kiddos come for Meet the Teacher at 3:00. My room is pretty much ready. I hate to hang up too many posters because when we take the TAKS test, we have to cover it all up or take it down, but I don't like bare walls. Yesterday I called all 21 kids to tell them about today. (kind of late notice in my opinion, but I just did what the principal said) I talked to 7 families, left messages for 4, and the rest of the numbers were disconnected or unlisted. My school has a 46% mobility rate (lots of apartments around), so they said to prepare for about half of my class to move this year and more to move in. One little girl’s mom said she’s moving away a week after school starts. Several of the 2nd grade teachers have stopped by to see my class list and see which kids of theirs from last year that I have. Then they want to tell me all about each kid. But I only let them if they promise to be positive. I don’t want to know the bad stuff. Maybe the kid has changed over the summer, right? :)

Well, I better get back to work. Say a little prayer for the 1st day of school tomorrow. They’re expecting about 75 more kids than originally planned for. Good times! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK! You will be a GREAT 3rd grade teacher! We have SOOO many extra kids this year....whew! Just makes life fun, right?! Jason watched the game last night...fun times! Gotta go eat...love these 15 min lunch times! :)

Shandra said...

I forget y'all start so late... well, what seems late. Pretty sad that some kids move so much... but could be good for you!! :) Hope you have a great first day!

Oh..Matt was watching the game and I was surfing the web!! I'm not a football fan!

Anonymous said...

I thought about you this morning on my way to work. I hope your day went well.
Jen

Jessica said...

What a good teacher you are only wanting to hear the positive about the kids! Teachers are one of the most important impacts on a child! Think of all those children from negative homes and then they come to school and see YOU--their encouraging teacher. Maybe it's because I have a little one almost ready to go to grade school but that brings tears to my eyes (and no, I'm not pregnant)! ;-) I just hope Jackson and Sasha have a teacher like you!

Mandy said...

Thanks, Jen. The 1st day went better than the 2nd day. I've got some chatty kids in my room. :(

You're too sweet, Jessica! I wish I could have your kids in my room too. I'm jealous of the cool weather you mentioned in your last post. It was 94 on the way home tonight at 7:00. Ugh!

knelson said...

Mandy - My feelings are just like your friend "the other Jessica". I was thinking how every mom dreams for teachers like you in their childs life. Especially the mom whose child had a rough year and might be labeled "bad". So you carry on girl!