Monday, August 07, 2006

I saw Ron Clark and turned 29...

Last Friday my friend Sarah and I went to HEB ISD's Welcome Back Convocation. Technically, we don't work for HEB, we teach in Irving. But I had seen on Ron Clark's website that he would be speaking to HEB, so we wanted to go. I called my good buddy Jessica up (because she actually works for HEB) and she told me it was at FBC Euless.

If anyone could motivate me to be a better teacher, it's Ron Clark. He was Disney's Teacher of the Year in 2000, was on Oprah, and has written 2 books. He's taught in Harlem and is now opening a school in Atlanta. Sunday night on TNT you can watch a movie about him starring Matthew Perry. After Ron spoke, the superintendent got up to speak so Sarah and I slipped out early and I got Ron to autograph my book. I took some pics too but I can't get any to upload right now.

Saturday night Kristi had a few people over to celebrate my birthday and hang out. Jessica got more pictures than me so hopefully she'll post those soon. :) I'll add mine if I ever get them to upload. We had a good time. It's crazy how we live in the DFW area but never see each other. But it's also not like Garland and Fort Worth and Mansfield are close, either, right? :) Thank you, Kristi and Chris, for having us over. It was fun! I appreciate each of you that went!

If anyone has any helpful tips on adding pics, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I would appreciate the help. :)

6 comments:

Deborah said...

I'll have to admit I keep thinking HEB, as in the grocery store, when I was reading that. How fun to get to hear him speak..learn anything useful??

Kristi has some great pics on her blog.

Anonymous said...

Call me next time you all hang out. I would love to see and visit with everyone...not just a quick hi while running from the kitchen at the cafe!
Jen

Anonymous said...

Miss Mandy...that is AWESOME! We have ours on Friday and it's supposed to be a similar thing...the way this person grew up, changed lives, etc...we'll see. I always need something to pump me up! :) I got your email...will call soon.

Jessica said...

Happy belated Birthday! Sounds like you had fun! Hope school stuff is going well!

Anonymous said...

Did you watch the movie? SOOOO good and powerful...I needed that! :)

Shandra said...

Mandy, glad y'all had fun at Kristi's. Sorry I couldn't make it. :( Surely y'all didn't have too much fun w/o me!

I was thinking HEB was the store too Deborah...guess it's mommy brain.