Thursday, August 24, 2006

f-i-r-e

A year and a half ago my friend Koby was at his friend's house a couple of days after Christmas watching the news and he sees his condo building on the news...burning! The guy upstairs had started a fire and Koby's condo received major damage. He finally got to move in back in the spring after going through a huge ordeal with the insurance company and his HOA. I learned 2 good lessons...it could happen to anyone and make sure you have really good insurance, right?

So then about a year ago, I'm talking to Koby on the phone and drive up to my apartment and see 2 fire trucks by my building! My heart stopped! It ended up being a small fire in an apartment one hallway over from me. It was such a horrible feeling and hit way too close to home...literally. (I missed having Carrie as a roommate because we used to always watch interesting things from our balcony. She would have found out the scoop for me in a second!) :)

Now fast forward to this past Tuesday...I'm talking to Jessica and she proceeds to tell me that she saw my old apartment complex on the news. Guess why? Another FIRE in the building next to my old apartment! I went by to check it out and the roof is totally gone! There were several garages full of burned stuff. There must be some pretty irresponsible people in that neighborhood! Supposedly it took 50 firefighters to get the fire out. It started from a candle that fell on a mattress. So all of that to say, after 2 fires and Kristi's car being broken into there, I moved out just in time! :) I think that place is jinxed!

The 1st day of school went well yesterday. The 2nd day wasn't quite as good, but it will get better. The mean Miss Ginn is coming out tomorrow. No mercy! You can't let 'em see you smile until after Christmas. All teachers are familiar with that saying. :) And that's hard for me, but you've got to nip it in the bud or it will only get worse...mostly for me.

Tomorrow is Teacher Appreciation Night at the Rangers game. A big group of us are going from my new school. Should be fun. As soon as they post the picture of my new 3rd grade team, I'll put it on here.

My team leader Jessica went to try out for American Idol in San Antonio last week. She made it to the 2nd round which was being held today. So she went back to San Antonio, but unfortunately she didn't make the cut. They said she needed more expression when she sings. But she sang for us the other day, and she sounded pretty good. She'll be back to school tomorrow. I'm proud of her that she even tried out. I was going to, but I was just so busy getting my new classroom ready. :)

Well, this teacher better get herself to bed soon. Have a good weekend! 2 posts in one week, what will my readers think! :)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy..OH MY WORD! I am glad you moved. I miss watching the exciting things with you as well. Jason likes that too, so we have fun when we see police cars, etc! hehe! I hope today goes better. It was good talking to you for a second this morning. I am STILL having problems with one of my classes and it's been a week. UGH! My homeroom is a DREAM class though! The other class is missing ALL of recess today. I'm so mean! If they talk during my class, I consider that their recess, right? So they will be quiet during the real recess. Hang in there....it will get better...at least I keep telling myself that! :)

Shandra said...

mandy...i can't believe you didn't try out for AI!!! you SO would have won!!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to tell you...tell your friend AI turned down Hillary (Linda's daughter) and then she got a deal from RCA. Tell her don't give up! :) I'll try to call tonight....hope things were better Friday.

Mandy said...

I'll have to tell her that. I've been working on math lesson plans ALL afternoon and night! We're sharing plans like your Elliott team did. I usually don't spend too much time on them :) but since my whole team will be using them to teach from, I figure I better do a good job. Now I have to finish making some manipulatives for them. But I guess it's worth it not to have to plan all the other subjects. :)

Michelle said...

fires are scary!! glad you are safe in a new place! :)

Anonymous said...

Mandy...I LOVED doing plans like that. I am surprised they gave you math since it's a TAKS subject. That is A LOT on your plate!! Good luck! :)

Jessica said...

was carrie's last comment a backhanded one? is she implying that you can't handle the math?! oooh, the blog drama of it all!

Anonymous said...

umm..no! not at all! that's just A LOT to plan!! being at a new school, new team...just added stress to my miss mandy! don't worry miss mandy...i'm still working on something to make us retire young and rich! :)

Jessica said...

That's wild! Glad you are safe and sound!

Mandy said...

Now Jessica and Carrie, I will not have any fussing going on on my blog. I knew that Carrie wasn't insulting my entellagents. :)

Jessica, if it was 89 in Texas today (and that felt cold compared to usual), what was it in Oregon? 45 degress? :) I'm jealous!

Jessica said...

I think the high was like 68 or something...we are all bundled up tonight! It gets down into the 40's now at night..almost ready to turn the heat on!

Anonymous said...

oh my...can't imagine it being that cold!!! i did like getting up this morning and walking outside and feeling the COOL air...whew! recess duty will be nice! :)

Jessica said...

It is supposed to be back in the 90's this weekend thou. Between the drastic temp changes and my allergies here in the northwest I am a basket case! One nice thing is that no matter how hot it gets during the day it usually cools done into the 50's.

Megan said...

did you get my email?

Michelle said...

hey mandy,

new P-O-S-T please!!

i'm on a roll!

Jessica said...

Mandy! Would love to see a new post! Ever talk to Jen?

Shandra said...

Man...you really need to blog. I'm going to have to take you off my list if you don't post in the next 4 days...and yes, that's a threat!!
Do you talk to Jenn? I live in the same town as her and haven't talked to her in a couple of months!

Anonymous said...

Miss Mandy...I know you are stressed with school and busy as ever....post when you can! I ordered a Tech t-shirt to wear to the A&M game! There is a Tech tailgating party before the game. If you change your mind, I still have a free ticket for you!It would help relieve stress to "get away" for a weekend! :)

Shandra said...

whatever carrie!!! why didn't you offer ME the free ticket? mandy you need to come see andrew to relieve some stress!!! he misses his aunt mandy!!